I Buy My Own Drinks

The international (and not so international) tales of a girl who buys her own drinks.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

scoliosis? or just a bad haircut?

So, I decided this time around I would get my hair did in two stages. Yes, I meant to write "get my hair did." This phrase, when written in my facebook status update, resulted in a barrage of accusations of me not really knowing how to speak English properly. This is not accurate. I wrote it like that on purpose, and yes, that is what I actually say out loud and in real life. I think it's funny :)

So, Day One is hair cut day. I got a very generous gift to a hair salon a few months ago, so I decided I would get my hair cut there and my hair colored at my local Aveda salon the next day, as I am very loyal to the brand. So my hair is being cut and the stylist says to me, "you know, your hair is uneven." I reply, "oh really? I never noticed." So the stylist then tells me that she fixes it and I thank her. I walked out of the salon loving my hair cut!

Day Two. I wake up and what's the first thing I see? The left side of my hair is a half an inch shorter than the right side. This is precisely how much of a difference the stylist told me she saw before she fixed my hair. So I arrive at Salon 2 to get my hair colored and point this out to them. They're nice to me and tell me that no one with an untrained eye would ever notice.

Let's take it back a few years now. I was probably in 4th or 5th grade when my everyone in my grade took a field trip down to the gym. There were some cloths set up in the corner of the gym to allow for privacy. What's going on in here?? It's Test for Scoliosis Day! I'm not sure it was just me, but when I was younger I desperately wanted to have something wrong with me. When I was around 4 I used to throw myself on the floor and not move and yell out that I needed a wheelchair. I was clearly in desperate need of attention. So I'm anxiously in line awaiting my turn behind the curtain. They call me in. They have me bend over. They run their fingers down my back. (How is this stuff allowed in an elementary school???) And then I get the best news ever! I have uneven shoulders! They tell me that I should definitely get that checked out by a doctor (wait - who are you guys then?) One other kid, I believe it was Milton, got the same diagnosis. Let me tell you, we were celebrities for the day! We had scoliosis. Well, sorta. I run home all excitedly to tell my mom that we need to get me to the doctor STAT cus there is something wrong with me! I have uneven shoulders! So, to sum this up, my mom says no and I never go to the doctor. Milton's mom had the exact same reaction. So that's that then...

...Or is it? I firmly believe that these uneven shoulders have finally done their damage. My hair is now uneven. Could this have been prevented if my mom had taken me to the doctor when I was ten? Who can say, really. How can you take your child seriously when she used to throw herself on the floor and claim to be handicapped? I would have ignored me too. I wonder if Milton used to throw himself on the floor as a child as well and that's why his mom ignored his uneven shoulders?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home