I Buy My Own Drinks

The international (and not so international) tales of a girl who buys her own drinks.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Favorite Earrings

So about six years ago I was in this really cool shop and found the best pair of earrings. They were silver twisty earrings. They were so unique and cool. I started to wear them every day and always got compliments on them. It didn't take long for them to become my favorite pair of earrings. It also didn't take long for me lose one of them. That's right, just one of them. I was devastated. I looked in every purse and pant pocket I had, as well as scoured my room. But my search was fruitless. For approximately five years, I had one single reminder of my favorite pair of earrings that I *used* to have.

The disappearance of this earring came at a hard time in my life, because I had also recently lost my favorite "going-out" earrings. They were the earrings I always wore on a night out on the town. They were pink chandelier earrings, and I loved them so! They sparkled and added just a little extra something to my outfit. After having them in my life for about a year, I took them on vacation with me to the Bahamas. We were having a great time! Oh, all the dancing we did! But, at the end of one fateful night, my friend and I sat down to rest our weary legs that had been dancing all night. We were talking and I reached up to adjust my earring, when I gasped and cried aloud "I'm missing an earring!" I quickly reached to the other ear to take out the other earring so I didn't look like a ridiculous, one-earringed crazy person, when I screamed in horror "I'm missing both earrings!" It was a terrible discovery. Then guilt set in. I was guilty of neglect. I had neglected to put on those plastic backing thingies that come with each pair of dangly earrings (who knew those had a real purpose?), and I had been dancing the night away without once checking on my earrings. It is the latter that makes me cringe thinking that my dangly earring may have spent some time stuck in my hair before finally falling to the floor. No doubt, not simultaneously. But I was young! And in the Bahamas!

My friend who was with me in the Bahamas made a valiant effort to bring these earrings back to my life. She called me one day to say she was in the store where I had bought my earrings and found the exact pair that I used to have! She brought them over, and devastatingly, they were not the same. My bubble was quickly burst.

Just a few short months after this, my birthday came around, and this same friend, who knows how much I love dangly earrings, bought me a new pair, which immediately became my new favorite! They were of a bronzish hue, with blue sparkles. They were beautiful! These became my new going-out earrings and I wore them constantly. These earrings even moved to France with me and traveled throughout Europe. Then they moved to New York City with me and I knew we had found a home. It was Christmas time, and I had just returned from my office's party We had such a good time, those earrings and I! It was a late night and I went right to the bathroom sink to wash up so I could jump right into bed. I took out my earrings and placed them on the windowsill above the sink and peacefully retired to my room for a night's slumber.

I awoke early, and not so refreshed the next morning. I went into the bathroom and I noticed it immediately. Something was missing. And that something was one of my earrings. I knew exactly what happened. My roommate's goddamn cats had found themselves a new toy and swiped one of my earrings. Words cannot express how much I hated these cats. They were terrorists. The mischief that these two could get themselves into was unlike anything I had ever seen in my life. I actually love cats, but there was just something about these two. And now they had taken my earring. ONE earring.

This was three years ago and I haven't found a pair of favorite earrings since. I have actually been on a constant search for the original favorite earrings, the silver twists. I've found variations, but not the exact pair. The other night, I found a beautiful pair of earrings, which had potential. I inquired as to what time the shop closed and was told 8pm. I returned at 7:45 to find that it was closed. I asked the employee (a different one that was not there two hours before) if they were really closed. She said yes. I said that I was told they closed at 8. She looks at her watch and says, "well it's 7:45." I was not happy about this. I turned this rage into a very intense Internet search for those original earrings. After hours of searching, I'm happy to report that I found those earrings! A wave of happiness and relief came over me! I am happy to report that they are in the mail and on their way to my house!

I've had some reservations over the last few days, that it won't be the same with these new earrings. I'm a different person now. Maybe they won't bring the same joy to me as they did years before. Only time will tell. Well, seven to ten business days to be exact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home